AUCAA – Data Protection Notice
What is the purpose of this notice?
This notice sets out details of the information that we collect about you, how we process it, to whom we disclose it, and your rights under data protection law in relation to our processing of your data.
Who controls the use of your personal data?
When this data protection notice mentions “we”, “us”, “our” or “AUCAA” we are referring to Amsterdam University College Alumni Association. This is the Alumni Association that operates under Amsterdam University College and that allows you to receive emails about events and other related alumni news. For more information about us, and contact details for our Data Protection Officer, please:
Contact us using the details at the end of this notice, or if you have any queries in relation to the processing of your personal data you can also contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
What personal data is collected?
In order for us to inform you about the AUCAA’s work, upcoming events, alumni news and other information useful for AUC alumni’s, we process your name and your email address. We solely collect information such as survey data and information for subscribing for events with your consent in that specific email. We also collect certain information from the device you use to access our website, such as your IP address, what browser you use and what type of device you are using.
Information that you give to us:
Most of the personal data that we collect about you will be information that you have given to us yourself. This might include:
- Queries and Complaints– If you contact our Customer Service team with a query or a complaint, we will record details of the query or complaint and how it is dealt with on our systems. We may also seek further details about the query or compliant from an accommodation provider, which we will also record in our systems.
- Email Marketing– When we collect your email address we will record your preferences regarding receipt of marketing emails from us in relation to our own services.
- Events – If you enter into an event subscription, we will collect details from you in order to enter you into the competition (e.g. your name, email address and your event entry).
- Surveys– If you participate in a survey, we will record your responses to the survey. In some cases we anonymise your responses, but where we don’t do this we will let you know.
Personal information that we collect automatically:
When you use our website we use various technologies to automatically capture details about the device you are using and how you interact with our platforms. This information includes:
- Device Details– We automatically collect details about the device you are using, including its IP address, its device ID, the browser you are using, and the operating system that the device uses.
- How You Interact With Our Site– We record details about how you use our websites and mobile apps, like the date and time that you visit, what pages you visit, how long you stay on the pages, where you have clicked on a page, and details of any crashes or system bugs you might encounter.
- How You Got Here– Where we can, we record how you arrived on our website (e.g. from a search engine, or by clicking on one of our adverts).
Why do you use my personal data?
As you probably expect, the main reason we use your personal data is to inform you about the association.
- Emails and App Notifications – Where we have collected your email address in the context of providing you with a service and you have not opted out of receiving email marketing, we may send you emails that we think will be useful to you. This may include our regular e-newsletter, alumni surveys and information about upcoming events. You may opt out of receiving email messages at any time by clicking on the link provided in the email messages.
- Surveys – We sometimes undertake alumni surveys to better understand our alumni. These can be general surveys to understand the network, or they might be more specific to you. For example, we may want to understand if you are generally positive about AUCAA or if you have concerns. We process your personal data in connection with our surveys on the basis of our legitimate interest in conducting market research.
Who do we share your personal data with?
We only share your personal data with other AUC related boards and committees such as the AUCSA board and the Amsterdam University College in general.
Retention of personal data
Personal Data – We want to ensure that you have access to data in relation our information email, and that we have access to this data for our own association’s purposes. We therefore won’t delete your data whilst you remain an active customer, unless you ask us to do so.
Email Marketing – We will keep a copy of personal data that is required in order to send you messages for as long as you are subscribed to receive those marketing messages.
Important Information about Consent
When we process your personal data on the basis of your consent, you are free to withdraw that consent at any time. You can withdraw your consent by contacting us using the contact details at the bottom of this notice. If your consent relates to receiving emails you can use the unsubscribe link in the email. Please note that if you withdraw your consent we may not be able to continue to provide the related service to you.
Your rights under data protection law
You have various rights under data protection law in connection with our processing of your personal data. For example, you have the right to request a copy of your personal data that we hold and to request that we correct any errors in the personal data that we hold. These rights are subject to certain exceptions and exemptions. For more details about your rights:
- Right to access your personal data – You have the right to request a copy of the personal data that we hold about you, together with other information about our processing of that personal data.
- Right to rectification – You have the right to request that any inaccurate data that is held about you is corrected, or if we have incomplete information you may request that we update the information so that it is complete.
- Right to erasure – You have the right to request us to delete personal data that we hold about you. This is sometimes referred to as the right to be forgotten.
- Right to restriction of processing or to object to processing – You have the right to request that we no longer process your personal data for particular purposes, or to object to our processing of your personal data for particular purposes.
- Right to data portability – You have the right to request us to provide you, or a third party, with a copy of your personal data in a structured, commonly used machine readable format.
Questions and Complaints
If you have any queries or complaints in connection with our processing of your personal data, you can get in touch with us using the following contact details:
Phone: +31 (0)20 525 8780
Post: Science Park 113, 1098 XG Amsterdam, The Netherlands